Planning Your Same-Sex Marriage in Alaska
Same-sex marriage has been legal in the state of Alaska since October 2014. Alaska is a unique state, being separated from the contiguous United States. It is the largest state, yet the least densely populated. The major cities of Anchorage and Juneau offer all of the accommodations and attractions that you would expect while the surrounding landscape is a perfect setting for an outdoor wedding. Make sure you visit the Tongass National Forest ñ the largest national forest in the United States.
3 Reasons for Gay Couples to Get Married in Alaska
- Alaska is one of the few states in the US that allow a friend or relative to perform your ceremony. They do not need to be affiliated with a church or religion.
- The Alaska Pacific University hosts the Safe Zone Celebration Week. This event is designed to provide the community with fun and entertainment while helping to promote LGBT rights throughout the region.
- The city of Anchorage has an antidiscrimination ordinance that covers sexual orientation and gender identity in relation to public and private employment, housing, and public accommodations.
Requirements for Gay Marriage in Alaska
- You do not need to be a resident of the state of Alaska to get married there.
- If you have been divorced within the past 60 days, you will need a certified copy of your divorce decree.
- There is a 3-day waiting period before your marriage license is valid.
- The average fee is $40, but this can vary between Alaskan counties.
- You and your partner will both need a valid photo ID.
Click on a city below to receive additional information about Alaskan cities, including details about marriage licenses, things to do, and the history of gay marriages:
Pridezillas wedding vendors all celebrate pride, love and equality. We only promote LGBT-friendly wedding vendors who support marriage equality. When you contact one of these businesses, you can be assured that they will be excited to help you orchestrate one of the most memorable days of your life.
Mention Pridezillas when contacting the vendors below for potential and occasional discounts or offers for your wedding.