Find Gay Friendly Wedding Vendors Iowa
Plan Your Same-Sex Marriage in Iowa
Iowa is the home of the Iowa State Fair, Iowa State Capitol, and the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden. This wonderful state is often overlooked as a romantic destination, but the entertainment, museums, and dining available in Des Moines and other major cities will make your wedding an unforgettable experience. The various attractions mentioned will give your guests something to do while they are in town for your wedding.
3 Reasons for Gay Couples to Get Married in Iowa
- Same-sex marriage has been legal in Iowa since April 27, 2009. This came after the Iowa Supreme Court ruled in the case of Varnum v. Brien.
- Iowa ranks third in the nation for the number of openly gay politicians in the state. Des Moines was listed as the fourth top queer-friendly city, according to the Vocativ Queer Index.
- Davenport was listed as the ninth queerest city in American according to the Advocate. The city has a non-discrimination law that is trans-inclusive. The city also hosts LGBT events, including the Quad City Pride festival and the Progressive Restaurant Walk.
Requirements for Gay Marriage in Iowa
- A photo ID is required when obtaining a marriage license. You will also need to provide your social security number.
- If you have previously been married, you will need to provide the date of the divorce or the death of your spouse. If the divorce occurred within the past 60 days, you will need to provide a certified copy of your divorce decree.
- There is a 3-day waiting period before the marriage license is valid.
- The average fee is $30, but this can vary from county to county.
- No blood tests are required before getting your marriage license.
For city-specific information about marriage licenses, things to do, and the history of gay marriages, click on a city below:
Des Moines Gay & Lesbian Weddings
Pridezillas wedding vendors all celebrate pride, love and equality. We only promote LGBT-friendly wedding vendors who support marriage equality. When you contact one of these businesses, you can be assured that they will be excited to help you orchestrate one of the most memorable days of your life.
Mention Pridezillas when contacting the vendors below for potential and occasional discounts or offers for your wedding.