Planning Your Same-Sex Marriage in West Virginia
Located in the Appalachian region of the Southern US, West Virginia is a unique state and a fun choice for your gay wedding. It is bordered by Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Maryland, but has a culture and style that is all its own. While in the West Virginia area, make sure that you check out some of the top attractions in the state, including Harpers Ferry National Historical Park and Seneca Rocks.
3 Reasons for Gay Couples to Get Married in West Virginia
- Marshall University is making a strong effort to become more LGBT friendly. An LGBT office has been set up at the university to create a safe zone for LGBT students. Numerous events are put on during the school year to help encourage open-mindedness.
- Same-sex marriage became legal in the state of West Virginia on October 9, 2014. This was the result of the case of Bostic v. Schaefer, which struck down Virginia’s ban on same-sex marriage. The ban was lifted in Virginia and West Virginia.
- The city of Charleston has an active LGBT community and numerous LGBT-friendly establishments, including bars, restaurants, and hotels.
Requirements for Gay Marriage in West Virginia
- When obtaining a marriage license in West Virginia, you will need to present a photo ID. This could include a state ID, driver’s license, or passport.
- You will also need to supply your parents’ full names and the states where they were born.
- You do not need to be a resident of West Virginia. Residents must apply for their marriage license in the county where they reside.
- There is no waiting period.
- The fees will vary, depending on the county where you obtain your marriage license. Most counties only accept cash.
For specific information about cities in West Virginia, including marriage license requirements for individual counties in West Virginia, top attractions, and other details:
Pridezillas wedding vendors all celebrate pride, love and equality. We only promote LGBT-friendly wedding vendors who support marriage equality. When you contact one of these businesses, you can be assured that they will be excited to help you orchestrate one of the most memorable days of your life.
Mention Pridezillas when contacting the vendors below for potential and occasional discounts or offers for your wedding.